Monday, August 15, 2011

My Grandpa's Funeral

My grandpa, on my father's side, passed away at the end of July. I'm not particularly close to any of my grandparents but it's always sad to lose a family member. My Grandpa Bob had a long life, he was 95 years old and he and my grandmother had recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary. What a wonderful example they are to our family!

During WWII, my grandfather enlisted in the Navy and he proudly served his country for 25 years before retiring. He then started his second career, working for the Seattle City of Light for another 25 years and retired again. After retirement he spent much of his time doing community service and working with several volunteer organizations. He spent a lot of time at the Black Diamond Museum. When I was a kid we traveled many places with my grandparents and I remember my grandpa could never relax on vacation. While the rest of us were playing and enjoying ourselves he was worried about the meetings he was missing at the museum. He was a hard worker and could fix anything.

I like this first picture of my grandpa because it looks exactly like pictures of my dad at that age.

1945


2011

My grandpa's funeral was the day after my kidney stone surgery but I really wanted to go so with help from Rich and some good pain medication I managed to make it there. Here's a few pictures that my mom took at the funeral.


His funeral was unlike any I'd ever been to before. Being that he retired from the Navy, everything was very regimented.






Dylan got to meet his Great Grandma Emma at the funeral

Rich, Skyler, Dylan & I with my dad's sister, Joan

My nephew Austin, sister Rachelle, niece Rose, sister Michelle, nephew Tyler and Grandma Emma.


1 comment:

Ryan said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Grandparents are so wonderful and are such a binding force to families. I love to recall the memories of my grandparents and who they were and their stories. They are truly priceless to me. I am confident that you will be able to see him one day again and will soon enjoy the warm embraces that they so tenderly give.